Sunday, March 11, 2012

Why I Choose Organic

For many years, I've bought things using coupons and stockpiled the best deals on whatever was on sale.  My kids staple breakfast food was PopTarts and I used pre packaged food as much as possible for both cost and time efficiency.  But then my husband started watching documentaries like  Food, Inc and realized there really was a difference in the food I'm feeding my family.  Everyone says, but organic is so expensive!  Well, organic may be expensive today but consider what is going into conventionally grown food and consider the correlation between the increase in processed foods and illness.
GMOs, which are genetically modified organisms are seeds built by humans like Monsanto to withstand poisons like Round Up so that the corporate farms can grow these disease resistant veggies and not have to worry about killing them when they spray them with weed killers.  These seeds have been humanly engineered and some seeds are now becoming resistant over time and recently these companies have worked on new "bigger, better" seeds that could withstand a chemical like Agent Orange. Yes, that means your food has been sprayed with weed killer that is not meant for human consumption, it could in the future be sprayed with an AO type chemical, and that doesn't just wash off of everything.  Porous fruits like strawberries are almost like sponges and maintain some of these chemicals, they don't just wash off!  During the making of these monster seeds, e coli is also injected in the seeds to make them resistant to disease, almost like they are immunizing the plants, which does help in their survival rate, they are nearly indestructible but this is a very unnatural process these seeds are going through.  The chemicals we are ingesting with these products include pesticides and arsenic that affect our long term health and play a part in things like ADHD.
There are so many other reasons that I use organic, but I'll get off subject for now.  We do still use plenty of conventional products, as it is expensive to eat organic, we just try to balance.  My kids still get happy meals from time to time and they still get Pop Tarts as a treat on some trips to the grocery. However I try to stick to organics as much as I can because I feel like they are so much better in the long run for us and for the environment.  Soon, I will share our garden that we are about to start with you all as well!  

1 comment:

  1. Very impressed with your article! Knowledgeable, informative and well balanced. Wishing you many happy memories as a blogger. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete