Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pizza Night!

I think my little dinosaurs are part Ninja Turtle, we go through so much pizza!  One of my favorite meals to make (because there is usually no fussing about eating it!) is home made pizza.  It is delicious and a great way to sneak veggies into the picky eaters.  I am a bit picky too, so this even works for me.
First I use King Arthur's Crust recipe and make two crusts, they are BIG crusts if you get them rolled out you may just want one, but we like a thick crust and let's face it, I'm feeding bottomless pits by their own account.  While the dough rises, I make the sauce.  I really wing it here based on what I have in the house.  Usually I use a can of tomatoes or tomato sauce and tomato paste but today, I had some fresh tomatoes that were on the verge of not being so fresh.  So today's sauce 3 tomatoes, 1 can of organic tomato sauce (small can today), then I used 2 large peppers, I usually use smaller sweet peppers that are red, orange, and yellow, I love the way they smell and give the sauce a good color!  But today I had these larger sweet peppers so in the sauce they go!  Then I add onion, not a whole lot so it is not over whelming, about 1/4 of a small onion chopped up. Then carrots. Yes, carrots, my oldest son doesn't love carrots so I try to be a little bit sneaky. I add a LOT of carrots chopped up because once it cooks no one ever knows they are there.  Once all the veggies are chopped and in the pan, I use a deep skillet with a lid, then I add 1/3 cup olive oil (I use extra virgin) then I sprinkle in salt, a little bit of sugar, usually brown sugar, then garlic, basil, and other Italian seasons to taste.  Once that simmers about half an hour, I slather it thickly on the crusts and cover it in cheese.  Bake as the instructions of the crust call for which is usually less than 30 minutes and serve!  I know this is a very basic recipe, lots of people make home made pizza but I love mine so much I wanted to share.  If you add something else to your sauce, please share!  I'd love to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment